Types of hosting services
A hosting solution is associated with storing and/or sharing particular web content on a web server handled by a website hosting supplier. There are different classes of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's take a glance at them. Thus, you can decide what you want, depending on whether you desire to create a web page, email box accounts, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by particular companies, which allows you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a record of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting solutions are frequently supported by showing ads next to the download links, while a timer forces you to await a specific span of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly unsuitable interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would allot the tasks at hand between independent bunches of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various web hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a kind of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given companies provide a hosting solution for images only. This hosting kind is good if you want to share a great number of images with buddies or partners since the service is generally free. You will obtain a random link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution dedicated to tackling your e-mail accounts. Some suppliers provide webspace hosting services for web sites, but do not offer an email hosting service. If you want to get an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to own a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can create e-mail address accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file creates a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with several video clips and a few hundred web site viewers, you may have a hard time with your webspace hosting reserves. Embedding the video will permit you to administer as many videos as you want without worrying about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to own a site. To some degree, it consists of all of the aforesaid hosting groups since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and mail address accounts, upload video files, and so on. At AIDA Host, for example, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting plans that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single place. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web space hosting account may be better or worse compared with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for particular content only.